"Spank His Butt!"

Recently while driving a bus, a parent told me rather emphatically that if his kid acts up, then I am to spank his butt and then tell him about it and he will spank it again when the boy gets home.  I have heard this many times while growing up in Southern culture from many classmates.  There was an almost certain pride in the number of times that a child could be beaten.

Several years ago, when thinking I might want to go into school administration, I interviewed with a school board for a small town in Oklahoma.  The interview had gone great and was winding down.  The conversation was friendly and my feeling was that I had performed well.  The superintendent was smiling as was the four or five members of the school board.  Then a final question was asked.  Would I be willing to use corporal punishment. 

I was not diplomatic or political in my answer as I should have been, but then again, maybe that was for the best.  My answer was unequivocal and gave no room for wiggle room.  I simply said no.  The smiles ran off their faces in seconds and the entire demeanor and environment of the interview had changed.  I really believe I went from having the job to losing it in just that one last question.

But that was for the better because I believe that I like teaching much more and I can always look at administrative opportunities later.  What is sad is that Oklahoma continues to have widespread usage of corporal punishment.  It is really quite shocking to everyone except those living in the South.

What brought up this topic was a form my daughter brought home from school.  We have had this form numerous times and each time I read it, it angers me that my kids attend a school that is so behind the times and so backward in its rules.  The form itself looks as though it has not been updated in year.  The typeface is from that of an old typewriter and reads as follows:

              Dear Parent:

              In compliance with board of education policy 5153.2, a parent (guardian) who objects to corporal punishment may request in writing that corporal punishment not be used as a means of correction for thier child.  That request is to be granted on agreement that:

the student will be suspended from school and a parent or an adult designated by the parent must pick up the child within thirty (30) minutes after being notified:

prior to the student returning to school, the principal may require a conference with the parents during which a behavior plan may be developed:  and

all academic work (classwork) assigned to be completed by the student during suspension must be complete and ready to turn in upon re-entry to school unless the principal determines otherwise.

Perhaps I am being oversensitive but is not the implication of this letter that parents who do not accept corporal punishment are not as responsible in discipling their children.  Hence the need for the improvement plan.  Parents who allow corporal punishment are not told that their child will be on an improvement plan.  Also, why not have parents who want corporal punishment sign a form and have the assumption be that most parents will not want it?

The fact is that corporal punishment has major flaws.  Its premise is based on power and humiliation and its implementation can be directly linked to lower literacy rates, test scores and lower student performance.  Like capital punishment, corporal punishment is an antiquated legacy of Southern society.  The highest rates of illiteracy, the lowest graduation rates, and so on are all found in the South where as this map indicates, corporal punishment is still in use.






The premise of corporal punishment psychologically and sociologically is one based on power and humiliation.  After all, isn't having a student bend over and grab their ankles the ultimate form of degredation.  This act is about exposing themselves fulling and submitting themselves completely to the person in charge.  The enforcer (teacher, principal) is then in the position of asserting their authority in a meaningless manner.  Corporal punishment is not based in respect for the individual but rather it is based in meaningless humiliation.  Corporal punishment therefore becomes pointless.  But it may make the enforcer feel as though something has been accomplished.

I will admit that I have used corporal punishment in my own home but I could count on one hand the number of times in eight years that I have imposed the punishment.  I am not a purist by any means but I do see corporal punishment as being ineffective. 

When I first came to my school, the principal offered a student a choice between 'licks' and detention.  He too the 'licks'.  The principal asked me if I wanted to do the honor of giving the 'licks'.  I declined and told him that is what he was paid the big bucks for.  Often times, student will give preference over corporal punishment if the alternative is more daunting.  After school detention, Saturday school, community service (picking up trash or helping in a nursing home) are much greater deterrents for wayward children.  Even better, if the punishment can teach a lesson related to the offense committed, the student will be much less likely to repeat the offense.

When I was in school, it was always the same kids that were getting the 'swats'.  Looking back on it, it seems rather pointless.  The teacher's arm must of gotten tired and the kids butts sore but they went through the motions nevertheless.  Come to think of it, how much instruction time did I have to miss while this was going on?  Sure it was entertaining but it taught me nothing about English or History.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Oklahoma State Questions - 2010 Election

I Am a Felon, Though I Did Not Get Caught